- This topic has 1 reply, 20 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 4 months ago by Anonymous.
- February 11, 2018 at 5:12 am #9882knarkillKeymaster
Thoughts and reactions, let’s go!February 11, 2018 at 2:27 pm #9883AnonymousInactive
Ok, I’ll take a swing.
Besides the Ocmulgee Brew Pub, Macon sucks.
1- way too many Claassifications. Some dreadful early round matches and some finals matchs that were blow outs because the competition is so thinned out but, with the crowd and the Benjamin’s it brought in there is no going back now. 8A here we come.
2- Some absolute garbage officiating. Here’s an example- offensive wrestle goes to a single to prevent an escape by defensive wrestle, picks the leg up and holds it for 43 seconds and eventually drives the defensive wrestle out of bounds- no stalling, no nothing. Again- too many classifications, too many matches requires too many refs who are not capable of the job.
3- the 6A heavy weight finals was the best I have ever seen.
4- David Breeden looked hot in his suit. I bet captain underpants
Was hot for him last night.
5- was glad to see Evan win.
Besides the Ocmulgee Brew Pub, Macon sucks.February 11, 2018 at 3:41 pm #9884AnonymousInactive
My turn……Macon is the arm pit of Georgia, besides being the geographical center of the state, what keeps this tournament here?
Apparently, I am a magnet to officials who want to show me that they are in charge, I believe they have a problem with mat side intensity. They also have a problem with the way some kids celebrate a win in the finals. If you toss your headgear in elation after a win that is hardly the same as throwing your headgear in anger if you have lost. Nevertheless, the ref threatens to take a team point? When I asked him how many of these he had won he said….”you would be surprised”, to which I said, I would be very surprised if you have ever wrestled!
Some of these guys make me laugh but a FEW show professionalism and pride in what they do, we need more like this and not the ones who stink it up every weekend!
Saw some great match ups across all classifications, we would see even more if we went to only 3, this would give the fans their monies worth….they would sell more popcorn because it would be a show!
Besides a few bite marks in my sport coat the weekend went pretty well.February 11, 2018 at 3:43 pm #9885AnonymousInactive
Macon as a town sucks. I thought the atmosphere yesterday was great though. The place was packed for the finals. 7 classifications is too much. Refs were inconsistent. Congrats to the girl that placed but what was up with showing her whole match on the big screen with a play by play commentary(kinda of another slap to the boy she beat)also shows how watered down the competition is getting.February 11, 2018 at 4:33 pm #9886AnonymousInactive
1. There were a few good refs, and LOTS of bad ones. Is stalling not covered in GHSA referee training?
2. Congrats to the first ever female state placer – Certainly an accomplishment worth hearing about. But did we really need a play-by-play of the match? And before you PC loons start calling me misogynistic, or whatever the new term is, don’t. I have a daughter and if she was the one placing at states I’d still be saying the same thing. How about showing a play-by-play of J Ruffin winning his 4th title? It may be a long time before we see another kid in GA on that level.
3. 7 classifications (soon to be 8?) is way too many.
4. Golhoffer continues to be jealous of my thick, naturally wavy hair.February 11, 2018 at 5:03 pm #9887AnonymousInactive
Can’t complain about Macon, since I watched the entire tournament on my computer screen in the comfort of my home. Kudos to NFHS and Trackwrestling for giving full access to every match. Despite a few issues, particularly in the final rounds where the feed kept dropping, I felt lucky to be able to follow the action so closely. So thanks for that!
Unfortunately the tournament(s) weren’t particularly compelling. There were certainly some marquee match-ups and an upset or two, but for the most part anybody who follows Georgia wrestling could have filled out the brackets in advance. I was focused in on 4AAAA during the first round. Out of 112 matches 46 were first period pins! I am sure you would find the same was true throughout the tournament at every classification. Do we need a better stat to make a case for fewer classifications?February 11, 2018 at 5:15 pm #9888AnonymousInactive
Brackets would have been niceFebruary 11, 2018 at 7:07 pm #9889AnonymousInactive
Man I almost forgot! I was so distracted by Breeden’s coat and PJ’s hair I lost my thoughts-
Tha awards ceremony- who gives a ?. Do it the first day or some other time besides prior to the finals. So, the kids warm up and prepare to wrestle then they have to sit through 30 min of GHSA and the hall of no one gives a crap awards. Now I think I did see a tear or two in Breeden’s and Captain Underpants’eyes as they held hands During the pre finals awards but, other than those two no one gave 2 ?’S.
I wish we could clone Stacey Davis and have him ref every match.
The one ref with the glasses sucks especially badly and has for years. At least he’s consistent.February 11, 2018 at 8:37 pm #9892AnonymousInactive
It is funny that y’all think that the refs receive training.February 11, 2018 at 9:23 pm #9895AnonymousInactive
Thoughts on the above comments –
1) Stalling – Only a few refs have the cojones to hit wrestlers up beyond a token warning. Some refs are good about this. To those I say thank-you for your commitment to integrity within our sport.
2) Macon – I can live w Macon. There are nicer venues, yes, but it’s indoors and there are wrestling mats – that’s good enough for me.
3) Females – We’ve got to continue to grow female participation to the point that they can compete w each other. Until then we can’t blame a tough female competitor for joining wrestling team. And what an incredible accomplishment it was to become a placer. However it does put some males in a tough spot – especially when close in skill level where things can get aggressive. In the 1960’s it was perfectly acceptable for pregnant women to smoke on an airplane. Someday folks will wonder why it was acceptable today for teenage boys to face the choice of losing to a girl or getting forcefully aggressive.
4) J Ruff – Incredible job; easy to be a fan, since he’s so hard-working and humble.
5) Tougest bracket – 5A 113? 7A 138?
6) Many seniors placed lower this year than last year. I was surprised to see some finalists from LY not even place this year. This may mean that we are jumping another level in the state of Ga.February 12, 2018 at 12:17 am #9898AnonymousInactive
I like Macon better than wrestling in the great state of Gwinnett. I am a proponent of State in the high schools, but if we are all going to be together, than Macon is a great option. The fact that it is geographically centered means everyone has to travel and sleep in a hotel. I like that.
Refs? Yeah, glasses…
I like stalling calls… but they need to be consistent for all wrestlers all day and the timing of them needs to be consistent. If the red calls stalking 20 seconds into the match, then he should be able to call stalling 5 times each period if nothing changes. And it should be called equally all day.
Down time. Geesh. Our state tournament is a marathon… it’s no wonder many wrestlers come out flat in the semis and finals… sitting around all day waiting for one match is a lot to ask. And made more difficult given the lack of warmup space onsite. It’s a 16-man bracket. TWO DAYS! (I am also a proponent of changing match limits to 6 and reducing rest times to 15mins).
Given 7 classes, and given that it is in Macon, I think the tournament was run very well over all. Never a dead mat. No big problems.
$5.50 for a small coke isn’t necessary. High Schools could provide better overall service for fans and wrestlers and coaches. I LOVE the walk out in Macon… liked it better down the stairs in Gwinnett, but I think HS’s could do fog machines, spot lights, one single finals mat, shirts, brackets, etc…February 12, 2018 at 12:51 am #9905AnonymousInactive
I just don’t understand why the large classes need a 3 day tournament starting on a Thursday. Make it 2 days: Saturday and Sunday.
Besides the downtime issues, it is a big money drain for small programs. Every year there are tons of schools advancing just 1-3 wrestlers. These schools are basically forced to book 2 hotel nights, even if their kids are likely to lose in the first round and maybe go 1 deep in the consols. It’s an unfair position to put the schools in.February 12, 2018 at 3:09 am #9934AnonymousInactive
5A 113 was very tough.
7A 138 was very tough.
Which one was deeper?February 12, 2018 at 3:32 am #9937AnonymousInactive
-Macon sucks! Period! End of Story! I don’t care if its in the center of the State.
-The play by play of the first ever female was over the top. No one else got that treatment- J Ruff deserved for all other matches to pause and watch him reach 4. Many have accomplished this but few if any have done it with the class and humility that he did! Kudos to you kid! I loved that you finally showed some emotion too!
– Many of the refs were horrible! Stalling is not called. Stalemates might be called even less.
Thank you Stephen Clayton and the Asian official (sorry don’t know your name)- you two are the best in the state and its not even close! Always work to stay in position.
– I agree with doing the awards before the finals. Too much down time for the athletes.
– Can we move all the semis to the same time, later on Friday so that people can actually attend and watch them?
-Why do so many of our coaches wear hats? Are the lights too bright?
– Single A is as awful as I thought it was
– 5A was deepest again
-Camden is very good
– Jefferson just keeps winning titles. I know I have banged on their schedule but after watching them, they are doing things right. You don’t win 18 of anything without having a plan and being pretty good.
-Commerce should petition to wrestle 4A at least
-The fashion police should have arrested the Milton coach- Do us all a favor and never wear that hat again- Ok Cowboy?
-Concession prices are a joke.
– DeShwan Farber really impressed me
– The 6A 285 Match was the best match of the finals
–February 12, 2018 at 3:41 am #9939AnonymousInactive
No T-Shirts or Brackets
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.