- This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 5 months ago by Anonymous.
- January 3, 2018 at 4:03 pm #8772AnonymousInactive
Now that we have a couple of months under our belt, I am going to update my pre season rankings. This are my rankings and I am sure some folks will have some butt hurt because they will not be mentioned. I am sure all the smaller classifications will blame me for having a big school bias. Again if you are wrapped up in one mans opinion, you might want to see somebody. One final thing, I don’t put too much stock into early season losses, especially if there was injuries (unless season ending).
Team Dual Rankings:
What was I thinking? I knew better when I put Buford #1. I am still amazed that Camden is this good after losing their stud senior class. Camden County are the New England Patriots of the GHSA- “Next Man Up”
Don’t let recent results cloud your judgement. Buford, when healthy, is the second best team in the state.
As much as I don’t like their schedule, especially their in state schedule, but this team is pretty good. I have them losing to Buford 34-21.
4) Social Circle
Solid team, not as good as they think they are but solid and deserving of a top 5.
5) I am really struggling with #5. I think there are 4 teams that could fill this spot: Commerce, Locust Grove, Gilmer or Alexander
Top 5 Tournament Teams:
1) Camden- not discussion needed
2) Buford- If we had an all classification tournament and placed top 8, Buford has a definite placers at 113, 132, 138, 145, 170, 182. Their 106 could possibly make the podium as 106 is dreadful.
3) Union Grove- Ruffin walks through anyone- yes including him dad!. Neace, Johnson and McDaniel give them three other high finishers. Massey would also be in the hunt to place.
4) Woodland- Golhoffer walks through his bracket much like Ruffin would. McCrary and Cochran make the finals at a minimum.
5) Jefferson- Bates, Statia, Potts, Hurd place. Blackburn and Corbett have a shot at placing. If it weren’t for Woodland putting three in the finals, I would have moved them to the #4 spot.
Others that could crack the top 5:
Brookwood- Key, Key and Lee would score a bunch of points
Archer- Smith, Smith, HWT would score some points. If Peter was wrestling they would be closer
All Class Individual Rankings:
1) Ruffin- his performance at the knockout was impressive. With or without those results, he is clearly the number 1 kid in GA
2) Golhoffer- Domination. Plain and Simple
4) Hunt- Struggled moving Hunt from 3 to 4. I know he has a recent loss to DiSario but its hard to ignore his body of work. DiSario is no slouch but I think if they wrestle 10 times, hunt wins 8 of them.
5) Robinson- Body of Work warrants his place in the top 5.
Mid Season Awards:
Wrestler of the Year: Justin Ruffin
Most Underrated Wrestler: Ian Statia
Coach of the Year:
Wilder at Camden- no matter how much he loses, they keep winning
Tramatoli- I challenge you to name anyone on their team besides, Golhoffer, Cochran and McCrary yet they are still very competitive
Collins Hill- WOW!
Lambert- Can you keep referring to a team as underachieving if they have been the same for 6 years? At one point do you just say they aren’t coached very well?
Peachtree Ridge- How can a school of this size not be competitive?
Cobb County- the entire County! What has happened in Cobb? It wasn’t all that long ago that Cobb County ruled wrestling. Anyone still think Van Horn couldn’t coach?January 3, 2018 at 6:59 pm #8773AnonymousInactive
As I asked before and was simply ignored…..I pose a very honest question. If Commerce has finished in front of Social Circle TWICE already this year( The Panther and at Kingsport ) how can you rank them in front of Commerce. I guess you could have called ONCE a fluke but TWICE ?? Also just a FYI….we finished 28 ahead of ALX at Bradley. No disrespect towards those two, just focusing on the logic.January 4, 2018 at 9:01 pm #8777AnonymousInactive
Is the Panther a dual tournament? What about Bradley? Kingsport?January 5, 2018 at 2:18 am #8778AnonymousInactive
All three are traditionalJanuary 5, 2018 at 4:41 pm #8779AnonymousInactive
Nice list snapon!!
watched all teams wrestle a couple times this year. Camden hard to see often but great to watch! Buford healthy earns the 2 spot with Jefferson 3rd.. Commerce healthy gets the 4 spot then social.January 5, 2018 at 5:47 pm #8781AnonymousInactive
Well Snappy I guess I missed where this was a Dual Team Rankings. However…..to have finished in front twice has to mean something. I think Twitch is close.January 6, 2018 at 4:11 am #8787AnonymousInactive
Machine- it is really hard to compare individual results to dual results. But after you referenced Kingsport and Bradley central tournaments, I looked at who Commerce had at each weight and compared that to what Social Circle had at Buford. I ran through the match ups twice and both times I have Commerce winning the dual. I am going to move them to the #4 dual team. After looking deeper into Social’s lineup, they have more holes than I thought. I honestly don’t know if they beat Gilmer.January 8, 2018 at 5:55 am #9466AnonymousInactive
Throw North Hall in there. Gilmer is up there as well.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.