Close

Cadet Duals Canceled............

This will be an archive of legendary threads. If a thread like "Jeff Bedard = Too much pub" acheives legendary status. It will be moved here for others to see. A Hall Of Fame if you will.
no avatar
CoachDAD

Re: Cadet Duals Canceled............

by CoachDAD » Sun May 17, 2009 1:22 am

My two cents (probably worth even less in today's economy)

From the wrestlers perspective, Wrestling is an individual sport. Every wrestler is different and will respond differently to different coaches/ styles. I do not believe that there is one style of coaching, or one sylabus, or one anything that fits all wrestlers.

The Domanico boys have worked with every coach mentioned on this thread. They have learned valuable insights from EVERY ONE. We appreciate beyond words, the unselfish dedication and contribution of each one. Some coaches are paid - it's their livlihood, it's how they pay they rent. We understand - that's great. Most coaches are volunteers - they do it for the love of the sport, and they are ALL heros. All have a true desire to make Georgia athletes into better wrestlers - and into better men.

Big egos? Heck - I wouldn't go to a coach that didn't think that his methods were exceptional. Let them coach the way they coach. If something works for us - great. We add it to the portfolio of our experience. If it doesn't work for us - OK we still had a good workout. At the end of the day, it's up to the wrestler (and his parents) to figure out what coaches/ regimen works best for them. For us, the variety of Georgia's best coaches and some out of state camps was a great experience.

However, when it came to events that we wanted to attend, I (Dad) looked up the requirements and we committed to follow "the rules". When we went to Super 32 with GNWA - we did everything that GNWA required. When we went to NHSCA duals and summer nationals, we did everything NHSCA required. And, when we went to USA Team Georgia duals and Fargo, we did everything USA required. Every event was a great experience. Did I agree with every rule for every event? No, but that wasn't my perogative. My choice was simple - it's their event, it's their rules - either we go and do what's expected, or we don't go.

So what about Georgia wrestling? No doubt that it is improving (the stats don't lie). I believe that Georgia has a high proportion of excellent, dedicated wrestling coaches and volunteers. I believe that trying to organize them is harder (and more frustrating) than herding cats. I believe that peoples hearts are in the right place. I believe that passion is a good thing, but thicker skins and a small dose of tolerance will go a long way.

Step back and see how far we've come. It's a credit to the entire Georgia wrestling community. I believe the future is great and you all will figure out together how to make it happen.

Ron Domanico

no avatar
granbymatman

by granbymatman » Sun May 17, 2009 2:40 am

Mark, Question on Fargo, If you go to SE Regional and place in the top 4 dont you qualify for Fargo? So.......if you place at SE regionals how do you get registered for Fargo if the dead line is Sunday. Can you make your own Flight arrangements and acommadations if you change your mind and want to go Fargo after SE regionals. Somebody tell me how this works, can you go on your own if you change you mind at the last min. so long as you have qualified?

no avatar
mrmoore

by mrmoore » Sun May 17, 2009 3:15 am

Top three from South East Regional qualify for Fargo. We will get you paperwork after SER. All arrangements must be made through Team Georgia.

no avatar
Larry Holloway

by Larry Holloway » Sun May 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Fargo is a National event for State Teams. Everyone competing must be on the USA State (or international) team. In our case, Team Georgia. You may not compete for any other Team, you must be registered as a member of Team Georgia and wear a Team Georgia Singlet. If you qualify at SER you will be given the paperwork that must be completed and submitted with the first payment. All SER qualifiers (who have not previously qualified) must submit their paperwork and first payment by June 7. Second and final payment due June 14. It is necessary to have the paperwork and payments in on time so I can register the team for the tournament, secure the proper number of rooms, purchase uniform packets, reserve the bus and purchase the airline tickets. Unless the qualifiers have submitted their paperwork and payments by the due dates they will not be registered and can not compete. This is a team event and team members must travel and stay with the team.

If you need to discuss anything about the tournament please contact any of the National Team Coaches or the Board. I can be reached at 770-331-7097. It is a great tournament. 26 mats wrestling non-stop from 9:00 in the morning to sometimes 9:00 at night. The best high school wrestling in the nation. Have a great week and good luck at the Southeast Regionals.

Larry Holloway

no avatar
PurpleHornet

by PurpleHornet » Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm

However the next few weeks work out, this thread deserves legendary status.

Previous

Return to Legendary Threads